The County Durham Plan is the main ‘spatial’ development plan for the County of Durham. It is produced by Durham County Council who use it, amongst other things, to decide planning applications. It is currently under preparation. Find out all you need about the County Durham Plan via the Durham County Council website.
The plan presents a vision for potential housing, jobs and the environment until 2035 as well as the transport, schools and healthcare to support it. It’s based on evidence about the county, alongside opportunities and challenges identified by residents and businesses during the previous consultation.
These will cover housing, businesses and jobs, protection of the historic and natural environment. They will also cover what should be put in place to support development, such as major transport links, new or expanded schools and healthcare provision and community facilities.
The plan aims to:
- Continue the economic growth and investment in the county
- Secure more and better jobs in County Durham
- Address the causes of climate change and adapt to its affects
- Create and enhance vibrant communities for all of our towns and villages
- Provide a wide choice of quality homes to meet everyone’s needs and ensure they’re built where people want to live, reducing the need to travel
- Secure the infrastructure to support new development and to relieve congestion and improve air quality
- Protect the natural and historic environment